Sunday, July 8, 2012

Well, CLUB CREW WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS 2012 is officially in the bag. I think I wore more hats than ever at this event. I was the acting club manager on site. Gwen Foley gets all the props for doing all of the leg work. I just turned in paperwork at the appropriate times. Did have to make some tough decisions, but that is all I have to say about that. I was a co-coach of two crews. There is no harder moment in a coaches career than deciding seating at an event like this. You know that each and every person attending put out big money to be here. You know they have been training hard on and off the water for this event. You know that in their hearts they all want what is best for the team. You know that seating what you hope is the strongest crew for the distance you are racing that day and the boat style you are in will break somebones heart. You know you just cannot make everyone happy. I can only hope we made the right decisions. I have learned a lot from this, as a coach and a person. My ladies really made me proud. They gave it their all and that is all I really can ask for. I steered for three crews this week. Two crews for Wasabi (i helmed for Huge today due to Janet suffering a nasty virus infection) and for the San Diego 2000m race. I have to say that if I never ever see Victoria Harbor from the back of a dragon boat it will be too soon. This water was vicious, dirty, mean and nasty. I have heard from the officials that this race had more teams swamp, helms lose control, boats collide and general all around mayhem than many have ever seen. The crazy steering oar snapping in half will definitely be up there in my top three dragon boat stories of all time. The officials from Uganda took a particular liking to me. They would really love to have a Wasabi team race at one of their events. Can you believe that there are Dragonboat races in Uganda?!?! Just goes to show why there were 144 club crews competing with over 4700 athletes in attendance making this the most competitive Club Crew ever. Looking forward to life back home. Loved ones, work, food I can pronounce... All I can say is that now that I've steered Victoria Harbor I'm sure the heck not too worked up about some wake boarders or jet boats anymore. See you all soon. Hope you have enjoyed my blogging. Until next time COACH, HELM, MANAGER, SATINA

No comments:

Post a Comment